неделя, ноември 01, 2009

Moon control to major Sam

This week I came across an interesting movie, yet due to a killer schedule didn't even bother to look at the name of the director, and put off watching it for a few nights. I don't know how I managed to miss the screening of this film, although I had eagerly anticipated Duncan Jones' sci-fi debut. And I remember telling all my friends to be on the lookout for this at the beginning of the year, while I totally spaced out on it afterwards. Eventually its time came and, without any expectations whatsoever, I was in for a fat kick.



I saw a british independent production (finally someone to shove it up hollywood's ***), with lots of visual references to 2001: A Space Oddyssey and the spacecraft Nostromo from Alien, yet unique in itsself and quite contemporary. The film features two very well know actors in Sam Rockwell and Kevin Spacey, made with a reported budget of less than 5 million dollars, with most effects completed using models, not CGI (hell yes!). The film score moved me deeply and the entire time I was thinking, man, this reminds me terribly of something very familiar. As it turns out, one of my favorite film music composers Clint Mansell is the shaman responsible for the eerily claustrophobic and ultimately uneasy atmosphere. If you're interested in futuristic fabulas, dangerously possible scenarios with anti-humane experiments and just how far a big corporation would go to save money on qualified personnel, make sure you watch "Moon", because director Zowie Bowie is already working on a follow-up.

4 коментара:

monstergroove каза...

I think I have to watch it, just because of the beautiful scenery... though I read some bad reviews about a too predictable plot..

Emmanu Elle каза...

I try to not read reviews for films I haven't watched yet, because critics' point of view almost always affects me in a negative way. The plot keeps your attention tight. Just when you think you've got it all figured out, you realise it ain't the whole lot just yet :D

Unknown каза...

i'm eagerly awaiting the release of "moon" on blu-ray since they only screened it a single night (and one that i had to work..)

the score for the movie is brilliant :D

Ray каза...

Страхотен моноспектакъл! Мерси!